Miss Brown's Dress

can remember this moment as a child
That now after many years I can still smile
But the time that it had happened
It was not a very happy occasion

My mother among her many gifts
Could on some occasions work as a seamstress
One day she was to face a very big test
Of making a dress for a woman who was fussy and a real pest.

She took the material and placed it on the table
Recorded the measurements in her book, wrote them quite legible
The she laid the cloth out and started cutting to specification
But during the process she had to leave to handle another situation

Leaving her scissors still in the fabric
Somehow I thought it was sign for me to complete it
So there I was snipping, smiling and cutting so happily
Beaming as i thought she will be so happy as her work was made easy

When she returned my she was so surprise
There was anger and fire burning in her eyes
My cutting was such that there was such damage
I could see there was nothing there that she could salvage.

My what were you were thinging at all
There cloth is so cut up, cannot even make a dress for a doll
But most of all what will i tell Miss Brown
You know she will make this headlines through the town