Remembering Elvis Presley

Could anyone ever forget him? When I was 14 years old, I fell in love with this incredibly handsome man, he swivelled his hips, and reached right into your heart with his intense dark eyes, and rich and powerful voice. Not only was he a rock singer, he sang ballads, and put such feeling and emotion into every performance, I was hooked by the enigma that was Elvis Presley.

My school friends and I put on our full skirts with the frilly petticoats every Saturday, and then took it in turns to have an “Elvis Rock Afternoon” at our own house, so smitten were we, and we played his records over and over until they became warped , but we didn’t care. Elvis was our world.

As I progressed through my teens Elvis became the huge star that he still is today. I cried when he married Priscilla, although I secretly thought they were the perfect couple. Lisa Marie was born a day before my second daughter, which made me feel a sort of affinity to Elvis.

I saw all of his films, and envied all his leading ladies. I loved his mean and moody look, but also I loved the way his eyes lit up, and how transformed his face was when he smiled. He had the most beautiful smile. In fact he was a very beautiful man, courteous and respectful to others. He was the poor boy who made good , and his music gave pleasure to so many, and continues to even now.

Elvis had that indefinable quality that sets certain people apart from others. We now call it the X Factor, but in those days it was much harder to become known. He was also a very religious man, who sang gospel songs, and although he kept it to himself, he supported many charities, and never forgot where he came from.

Elvis was , and for me will always be, the King of Rock and Roll. When he died, it was such a huge loss to the world of music because he is irreplaceable. No wonder some people still imagine he might be alive. He had such a powerful effect on people. He may be gone, but Elvis lives on in my heart.